Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Friday, September 7, 2007

My dates with Daddy. . .

Day after day I find myself pondering our God. How can He love me this much? Why is He so good to me? Why does he choose to reveal Himself to me when I least expect it, let alone when I don’t deserve it?

When I think of these and all the questions I have ever pondered I am left with only this as my weakest defense: Infinite is Who He is and love is why He is. Understanding that offers me the delight of walking in the fullness of God. The most incredible piece all, though, happens when I am in communion with Christ because in Him each morning bounces with new expectations. Hope is re-assured, purpose is clear and faith makes more sense.

This past week I have been innately drawn to the center of campus, specifically the circle surrounding the fountain and trees. As soon as I wake up all I can think about is being there. My mind races with all the ways I can dream and dance with my Daddy. Envisioning my date with Him goes something like this, “maybe today I can dance for Him in the grass, twirl in circles with my head towards the sky, or sing for Him as I walk along the brick. Maybe I can just kneel before Him beside the trees and melt in His presence. Or perhaps I can run around, do cartwheels or just sit and enjoy the sweet smell of creation. . .”

In many ways, this campus has become my place of retreat. It is the place where I can be with Dad and know that He is there with me. Being here is not about maintaining a one-sided relationship, though, where I go only to talk to him; He speaks back and often in surprising ways. Sometimes a butterfly will fly around my head, an animal will stare at me as if it is smiling, or the trees whisper an irrevocable sweetness that calms my soul. Hearing His voice is certainly not over-rated, but sensing His pleasure is indescribable.

One early morning I retreated to this place for a jog and ten minutes in I found myself in the grass, on my knees in worship. Another morning during a jog I could not wipe the smile off my face. During a jog one evening in 75 degree weather my body remained in chills at the thoughts of Him. My favorite jog of all, though, is when the joy of the Lord overwhelms me with laughter. Sometimes the sudden laughter is so intense I have to stop just to catch my breath!

Nature has always captivated me, but this past month has taken me farther than the finite beauties and into a place of infinity where possibilities are endless. The sun reminds me to let my light shine. The sky reminds me there are no limits. The birds sing of the lullabies God sings over me. The grass reminds me of the real foundation upon which my feet firmly stand. Trees encourage me to stand tall and remain strong in the faith. The cleanliness of water excites my need for a Savior. And the list goes on.

The supremacy of Christ has caused me to look beyond what is seen. It has brought me to a deeper and fuller knowledge of God’s love. Bedtime is not simply the last routine thing I do anymore; it is an opportunity to ponder what surprises await me for tomorrow. Tomorrow is not only a new day of discovery, but a time for divine encounter with the Father of love.

No comments:

The publisher/owner of this website, Kellie Borden, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.