Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Life Changing Encounter with Faith




After visiting my horsemanship director's church for the beginning of his Cowboy Chapel series, I found out that my good friend died. Devastation consumed me and I spent that entire night crying and remembering all our times together. She taught me so much about faith, hope and love. Who knew that a bond between a human and an animal could be so strong?
She was more than an animal I drew close to; Faith became a significant part of my life. Sixteen years of dreaming to ride horses became a reality for me at the beginning of the year. Years of longing and dreaming to know and understand this stunning, heavenly creature were often times of struggle because small towns like mine weren’t made of money, and riding lessons weren’t cheap. Yet, through the years, faith is what I exercised, and Faith is who strengthened me.
A gorgeous Palamino, Grade pony, she was golden and had an incredible variation of blonde in her mane and tail. (With a comb and a little Show Shene, she was one in a million!) Since my blonde babe was a Grade pony, she had a mix of many different ancestors and had characteristics different than that of a standard breed or purebred. She was a pony, averaging 14.2 hands in height, and boy was she a spitfire sometimes! But what female doesn’t have her moments? Besides the occasional threats she listened well, had a smooth walk and lope, and loved to receive love ;)
Among many other things, Faith taught me how to properly ride the canter; pivot; use my weight as a natural aid; and even discipline a horse. (She sometimes, like me, needed strict “I am in control and you’re not no-no’s”) I learned quickly in the canter that she didn't like it when I leaned too far back (neither does any horse); and she taught me how to use my weight, legs and hands to pivot during a show (she wouldn't do it if I didn't do it correctly). After time, she even grew such respect for me she obeyed my cue of turning her by using my weight without reins. Our relationship blossomed quickly in a short amount of time. I loved and respected her, and she loved and respected me. One thing is for certain: I never walked away from her in a day without learning something about her, horses in general, and the mighty God I serve.

While I was testing out different ways of communicating discipline to a horse, as silly as this sounds, I wanted to see if horses respond to the "pointed finger" as much as children do. Believe it or not, when Faith would threaten to bite or kick another horse or person, I would make a firm face and point my finger firmly at her and she would immediately look straight ahead and behave. Most horses respond better with an elbow or a slap along with a voice, and some others do respond to the "pointed finger", but because I had spent so much time with her, her response to the pointed finger helped me recognize she was responding more to my body language, and I began to feel extremely close with her.
We spent a lot of time together behind the scenes. After classes and lunch, or in between when no one was around, I'd spent quality time talking with and scratching her, and hugging and kissing her. I respected her so much because she taught me how to ride, the right way. And she learned to respect and trust me because I helped take care of her, and was intentional about treating her well.

This remarkable pony had no idea she inspired me to keep hoping trusting in the promises of God. Many times I came into work discouraged about a certain promise God gave me that in reality looks impossible and seeing her instantaneously would put the smile back on my face, the joy in my heart and the faith in my spirit. She truly was the encouragement to me no one else could offer, and the tangible love I needed to feel so many times from my Heavenly Father.
What a creative and caring portrait of God's faithfulness to me. How wonderful it was to ride a gorgeous and wonderful horse named Faith almost every day. Not only did I learn and grow in my knowledge of horses, but through her I learned life changing lessons about God and His unfathomable, yet tangible character and ways. She truly left an hoofprint in my heart that will never be forgotten. I drew close to Faith, and through her I drew close to my Father.

No comments:

The publisher/owner of this website, Kellie Borden, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.