Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Don't Push Before the Due Date

You hit the ball with agressive force, more than you thought you were capable of... it makes it into the air, past shortstop, and way out into left field. You see the left fielder jump for the ball and miss and excitedly, you run as fast as you can around first. You round second, inch closer to third and bypass your coach standing at third base, knowing Him well enough to know that unless He waved you to "GO!", you stayed at third. But after glancing into left field you realize you can probably make it home so you increase your stride and determine your slide. Head first-- only, after squinting to avoid getting dirt in your eye you don't realize that the ball makes it to the catcher's glove just in time to meet your head. Best slide of your life, yet you walk away with a black eye and a killer headache. Although you knew the risk before walking to the plate the last thing you expected was to get hurt and set back from playing when you thought you could make it.

A few weeks ago I took a step towards God's call on my life without being certain I had the green light from Him. I knew I was walking to the plate without God's O.K. and could potentially abort God's plan, but I figured this HAD to be the way He would work it out so I took the step. The visionary, compassionate leader and designator in me saw the potential in the idea that could lead to accomplishing the vision so I took the steps to "make it happen". I think the primary reason I did it was because I was anxious to see how God could open up the right door. So, I did it and then invited God to hop on my bandwagon. My prayers went something like this: "C'mon Jesus! I know you could work this out! "

A door recently opened that appeared to be the right door-- the perfect person, the perfect need, the perfect timing. It all seemed right. All I had to do was run the "idea" by the big dogs and everything would be PERFECT. Well, the big dogs rejected my "idea" and even gave me an overwhelming consequence if I went through with it. I suffered great disappointment because my motives were pure-- this would have made a way for eliminating hindrances to the fulfillment of my call & essentially brought it to pass sooner as I continue in my season of preparation. What's a girl to do when she feels like she's done everything right, everything looks right yet it doesn't work out?

In this case: back up, repent and wait.

Waiting is the story of my LIFE, and yours, too, if you are a child of the living God. No body likes to wait for God to move and if you are a "visionary step taker" like me you find it challenging to sit back and do nothing when you know you can do something. I find it interesting that although I find complete contentment in trusting in the Lord for the things to come, I still find inpatience in me that sometimes causes me to step beyond my bounds... and likewise hurt myself. Paul Johanssen said something a week ago that convicted me like crazy. He said something to the effect of, "Will you, knowing full well that you could easily make the vision happen by yourself, let the Lord do it all? Will you take your hands off?" It just pierced my spirit in a powerful way. Although my wholehearted prayer every day is that I remain surrendered in every area of my life, I realized I had some trash I needed Jesus to take out. I couldn't believe I tried to "help God out". EW! I was so disgusted with my pride.So my "idea" failed... PRAISE GOD! So I was incredibly disappointed... PRAISE GOD! My omnipotent yet intimate God has a perfect plan in place for this vision to come to pass. And it's one that I could never make happen. I have a lot to learn, but what I have always known (and unfortunately haven't always recognized) is that I would much rather have God's door open in God's time than my door open in my time. The only thing on the opposite side of my door is a disaster waiting to happen.

Please, spare yourself the disappointment: leave God's plan up to God. He doesn't need your help. Hearing and discerning or not hearing and discerning are crucial to determining His steps from your steps. His thoughts and ways are higher than yours. Don't push before the due date, otherwise you risk harming your baby and causing yourself pain that was never intended. Don't position yourself for injury by taking a step without having your Coach wave you on to home. Listen for God's personal voice, and respond by faithfully waiting. Your plan will only abort the process God wants you to walk through. Remember, the PROCESS is key to the PROMISE.(The PROCESS is KEY to the PROMISE. -R. Hotchkin w/ P. King)

No comments:

The publisher/owner of this website, Kellie Borden, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.